The Checkered Eye Project

People wearing this symbol have partial blindness aka low vision.

Home

The Checkered Eye Project (CEP) has made a commitment to do more than spread awareness of the spectrum of blindness. It’s now supporting Orbis and their various programs around the world.

80% of all CEP sales from Dec. 1st until the end of White Cane Week (1st week of February) each year, will go to Orbis. The rest of the year we will continue to donate 20%. We also hope some of you will Click here to go to the Orbis/CEP page and donate directly to them.

Orbis logo
Click to go to CEP/Orbis donation page.

Orbis is a global non-profit organization that helps ensure no one loses their sight to a preventable, treatable disease, and they’ve got a flying eye hospital!

As symbols, the Checkered Eye and the white cane both indicate their user is on the blindness spectrum.  

Most people who use a white cane have severe blindness, and use the cane as a tool for independent travel.

Some people use a white cane as a symbol, strictly to indicate to others that they have some degree of blindness. If a person has useful remaining eyesight, and doesn't need the cane as a tool, they may still choose to carry one to communicate their visual difficulties and increase their visibility in traffic.

People on the blindness spectrum who do not need the white cane as a travel or safety device, may choose to use a Checkered Eye to indicate that their vision is impaired.

The awareness of a person's hidden needs can alleviate confusion, frustration, and embarrassment, for people with blindness and those with whom they interact.

Please be aware of the existence of this emblem, and have a glance to see if anyone you encounter may be wearing one.

counter
Change Text Size:
largersmaller